Saturday, September 29, 2012

Any Witch Way Hat ~ A Pinterest Project Tutorial




I know it looks like I'm way behind on the Halloween decorating front.
Well, I put fall stuff out in September but save the holiday specific items for later.

But, I have been working on a few...one of which you see here today. :)

I saw this pin on Pinterest from Craftaholics Anonymous
and since I looove polka dots, decided to give it a shot.

Start with a paper mache witch hat from Michael's.


Cover entirely with white paint.
Or orange if you decide to go that route.
Be adventurous.


I had already cut some vinyl circles a while back
in preparation for painting my Kitchen Aid mixer.
Ummm...that hasn't happened yet either.

You could also use a 1 inch circle punch.

So I put them to good use here.
I painted over the edges again with the white paint
to keep the edges of my circles crisp once the black went on.


Paint over everything with the black paint...even the dots.
Yes, I'm using an Oriental Trading catalog to paint on.
I'm resourceful like that.


While the paint is still damp, remove the dots...but this may be tricky.

You can purchase expensive picks just like this one
made specifically by Cricut, I believe, but why spend the extra $?

I got a set of six "dental picks," which look remarkably
similar, from Harbor Freight, for about $3.
They work marvelously.


I sprayed it with a satin top coat just so it would be shiny,
but some Mod Podge would also work.

Attach your ribbon of choice, 
and some tulle {because it's awesome} with hot glue.

I wanted this to be ruffly...it didn't want to comply.
In the end we came to somewhat of a mutual understanding.


No, you're right, there's no hat in this picture.
I just liked it.
:)
Oh, look!  There's my lamp shade.


I like to believe that a chic little witch would wear this hat.


Maybe even Miss Switch the Witch.

That would be ONEderful!


TOO cute!

{I'll share the initial plaque once I get the rest of the living room art finished!}


If I only had a THREE-legged chair...

We'd have ONE, TWO, THREE.

But I guess you'd have to read the book or watch the
OOOOOLD after school special to know about that.



I hadn't looked at the original pin since I had first pinned it.
I was kinda surprised when I went back to link it how alike they were.
Except mine is all black and white and has more stripes.

Oh well, you can't always be the trend setter.



I do have non-copied projects I've done.
However, most of those are pre-blogging...
and way before I found so many fabulous things online I HAD to have.


I think I may feature some of those, 
but be warned...there won't be tutorials...

Do you ever feel like your life is so busy you
couldn't come up with an original project if you tried?

Be sure to stop back in a couple days to see some more Halloween fun!

17 comments:

  1. Adorable! But I think I waited too long - can't seem to find this hat at Michaels. Maybe I can make my own though......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest witches had ever. I love that you put the polka dots on then painted over them. Very smart idea. I'm your newest follower. Come check out my blog when you have a minute at http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO adorable, Love the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute - I love polka dots and stripes together. I am now following you - from Debbiedos....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute. I'm loving polka dots these days ... but I can't help but be distracted by the J&K sign! I am so making one of my own! Well, not with J & K est. 1993. That would be creepy. Stalker-ish ... really ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, This witch hat is too cute! The ribbon and tool embellishments are adorable!!! What a great tutorial! I hope you will stop by StoneGable and share this great halloween decor at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS, my weekly linky party. Link goes live tonight (Wednesday) at 8:00 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly your project is adorable. There is a craft site called craftgawker. Your last photo should be submitted there. They are super picky about the photos they accept. However, if your project gets on there, you get a A LOT of traffic over to your site. Try it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you for the suggestion. I went straight over there and signed up and submitted it. They took it and it's up on the site. :)
      Kelly

      Delete
  8. You don't need one of my witch hats...you make DARLING ones yourself!! The polka dots are really cute and I love how easy this is to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hat's lovely, and such a clever way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE!!! It's fantastic.

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original Linky party is open!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! Thanks so much for the tutorial. May just have to make one of my own. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I'm going to have to stop by Michael's and see if they have any witch hats left to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE it! My favorite part is the ribbon...I like cutesy Halloween, not creepy!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.